Monday, January 21, 2013

Some warm winter fishing on the Arkansas River





The warm weather brought the fish out and lots of anglers. My dad and I got to the river on Sunday around 1:30 in the afternoon. The sun was shining and the wind was blowing a little but we were going to have fun. The first parking lot was FULL and when we got to the second lot it was FULL. We found a spot to park, threw on our gear and headed straight to the water. We started fishing right past the parking lot because we were sure the crowds were up higher in the more popular runs. I started with a #18 red zebra midge followed by #22 olive midge with a size 4 weight and about 6 feet from my indicator to the shot. I managed to hook a few fish but didn't land any so I moved into a swifter run. My first cast I caught a nice rainbow and landed it. My dad saw so he came up to see if he could catch one. I cast a few more times and hooked another fish and landed it. So I cast one more time and finally got a big fishy. When I landed it I hurried and got a picture and let it swim home. I moved out so my dad could fish and he got some good casting practice. Before we moved on he was able to land a fish. We moved up river to see if a favorite run of ours was open and fished a little bit as we moved up. The run was open so we divided it up and started fishing. I didn't catch a thing not even stick or rock. I pulled out my streamer tip line and tried to fool a fish that way. My dad was able to catch a fish or two. I am not sure what he was using because he changed about every 5 or 6 casts. Since I was not getting any action I decided to head back towards the car. My dad followed me and we walked all the way to the run we started out fishing. I cast a few times and missed one so I moved down river so my dad could have a shot. My flies found their way into the biggest log at the bottom of the river so I cut them off and ended my day. My dad was at the top of the run and hooked a nice fish that ran him down into some boulders and broke him off as well. He tied some more flies on and cast back in the run. Right away he hooked up and we could tell it was a big healthy fish. He worked the fish until we could land it. A beautiful 18 inch rainbow was in the net!!!!! It was a great way to end the day for sure.                                                                                       
 
Monday we took a friend with us and we left at 6 in the morning with hopes of beating the crowds. We beat the crowds alright but the cold beat us real bad. It was So cold that it hurt my fingers just walking.
Phil's pig of the day
We got rigged up and headed out  into the cold morning. The weather report said it would get up to 51 degrees and no wind. My dad headed up river to his favorite run while Phil and I stayed low where I caught fish the day before. We saw a giant fish come to the surface and cruise like a submarine for a few seconds. We decided to fish even if it was SUPER cold. I let Phil fish the top of the run and I stayed lower hoping he could catch one first. I surprisingly hooked a fish and fought for a while but he spit my hook. After a few choice words I cast back in hoping to get another. We fished the run with no more strikes and decided to back track into some sun light to warm us up. I let Phil have what I thought was the better part of the run. I cast and hooked into a nice fish finally landing it. I hurried and threw back in and after a few casts I hooked into a nice fish. I didn't know how nice until he took off running me into my backing. I fought him for a while and thought I could land it so I got my net out and reached in for him. Thats when I had a slight heart attack. The fly came out of his mouth right when I reached for him. With a lot of luck my second fly found it's way into him so the fight was back on. When I finally got him to the net I measured him at 21 inches long. Beautiful healthy and very fat! Phil came and took a look at him and took my picture with the hawg. After I released the fish Phil said look at all those people. There was 5 or 6 guys in each run as far as we could see. We gathered our gear and headed up to where my dad was. It was still shaded and cold where my dad was so we kept moving up river.My dad caught a sucker and had no other fish. Phil fished a few runs but couldn't hook up with a fish. After a few runs we decided to head back down. We all went down river hoping to find the run open near the car. My dad told us about finally catching some fish out of his run. The run we wanted was being fished by a guy so we went down river a little more. There was a group of people learning from a guide how to fish so we stayed away from their class. The guy fishing the top of the productive run hadn't caught any fish so he backed out and we gladly took his place. Iwas trying to help Phil get at least one fish so I gave him as much of the run as he wanted. My dad was 20 or 30 yards down river and he was hooked up with a nice fish, when I turned back to Phil he was also hooked up with a nice fish. It was great! My dad had landed a long fat sucker. He was not impressed. Phil fought his fish for a while and landed a nice rainbow. It measured 17.5 inches with a fat belly. I was sure glad he caught a nice fish. We moved down the river and fished a few runs and had a good time. We ended the day a little after 3 but there were more people headed in to start their day. I hope they had as good of a day as we did. 
My 21 incher!!!
This little fishy was  just chillin under the ice.



No comments:

Post a Comment